By Dylan Nelson
In 1912 the Bellingham chapter of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks built the BPOE building on Cornwall Avenue. The Elks stayed there and used the building as their meeting hall and club house for 67 years.
Since the Elks moved out in 1971, the building has hosted a number of restaurants, taverns, a dance studio and an all ages club.
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 and has housed a number of businesses since the Elks left 45 years ago. This 104-year-old Bellingham Landmark can be found at 1414 Cornwall Avenue next door to the Bellingham Bar and Grill.
Images for the audio slide show are used with permission from the Whatcom Museum Photo Archives.